You are here: Home » Sellers » Energy certificate

Energy certificate

In Germany the energy certificate has been compulsory for real estate sales since 01.01.2009.
Owners of buildings (residential and non-residential buildings) must be potential buyers or tenants
present an energy certificate for your building.

The identification requirement does not apply to
* listed building.
* small buildings with less than 50 m2 usable area
* Buildings that are not regularly heated, cooled or used, such as holiday homes,
* Buildings with special uses such as certain slightly heated company buildings, stables or greenhouses.
* Homeowners who don't want to sell, rent, or modernize.

The energy certificate is available in two different versions:
* The demand certificate calculates the energy requirement of a property based on the building materials used, the size of the property and the system technology.
* The consumption certificate is created based on the heating bill for the last 3 years.
Which ID can be used depends on the type and size, the year of construction and the energy quality of the building.

The following rules apply
* For residential buildings with up to four residential units that were built on the basis of the Thermal Insulation Ordinance in 1977 or later, there is freedom of choice between demand-based and consumption-based identification.
* For residential buildings with more than four residential units, freedom of choice also applies regardless of the year of construction.
* For residential buildings with up to four residential units that were built prior to the 1977 Thermal Protection Ordinance, the demand-oriented energy certificate must be used. An exception applies to residential buildings from this period, which either already showed the energetic status of the Thermal Protection Ordinance of 1977 when the building was completed or were brought up to this level by modernization measures. In these cases there is also freedom of choice.
* For the so-called non-residential buildings (for example office buildings, commercial buildings), energy or energy-oriented energy consumption certificates can be used at the owner's or landlord's option.

Who issues energy certificates?
* Master craftsman and self-employed craftsman
whose main activity covers the areas of building trade, heating construction, installation or chimney sweeping.
* Architects and engineering firms
with training in the fields of architecture, building construction, civil engineering, construction management, construction operations, building technology etc.

If you need an energy certificate, you can also access the database of the German Energy Agency dena
or on Energy certificate issuers from the local region are listed there.

* Consumption card
At the moment, the cost of a consumption ID is between 25, - EUR and 100, - EUR, depending on whether it is issued via online data entry or via a personal telephone consultation.
* ID card
The prices for the demand card are higher because significantly more data is required to calculate the demand. In the simplified procedure without on-site inspection and measurement, the price is between around 80 and 200 euros. With the demand certificate, which is created using the detailed procedure of inspecting and measuring the building, depending on the size of the property in residential buildings, it can be expected to cost between 200 and 1,000 euros.

For non-residential construction, more complex measurements and calculations apply, so that the price for the needs certificate can also rise in the tens of thousands.

How long is the energy certificate valid?
The energy certificate is valid for 10 years. The expiry date is part of the energy certificate.

We use cookies to optimize our website and to offer you the best possible online experience. By clicking on "Allow all", you agree to this. More